Dog Day Afternoon: BrewDog celebrates the launch of its first BrewPub in Tower Hill with the world’s first beer designed by dogs
Independent craft brewery, BrewDog, is putting out a call for dogs and their owners to help brew the inaugural beer at its first ever BrewPub in London’s Tower Hill. BrewDog Tower Hill will be the Aberdeenshire brewery’s largest stand-alone bar site, and features a 10hl brewing kit, making it the only place in the UK outside its headquarters in Ellon, Scotland to be making BrewDog beers.
- Beer loving dog owners can bring their pups to the bar at The Minster Building, Great Tower Hill Street, London EC3R 5AR from 12 noon on Saturday 12th May, where their dogs can take part in choosing the ingredients of the beer.
- In a world-first, BrewDog will be opening up its recipe design process to man’s best friend, as BrewDog Tower Hill invites the capital’s four-legged friends to choose from three options of hops, malts and a special twist.
- Whichever options the dogs approach and inspect most frequently will be selected for the final brew.
- Dogs are renowned for their superior sense of smell, and it is hoped that their exemplary olfactory abilities will enable them to make an extra-special set of selections for BrewDog’s first BrewPub.
- The owners of participating dogs will then be invited to assist the BrewDog brewers in making the beer on Thursday 17th May.
- Located in a neo-Gothic Minster building just a stone’s throw from the Tower of London, at 8500 square feet, BrewDog Tower Hill has a capacity for over 500 people.
- The bar features 25 beers on tap, three deli fridges for takeaway beers, an automated growler filling system, an arcade games area with three shuffleboards and an extensive outdoor seating area
- Exclusive beers brewed in the 10hl brewing kit will permanently be on offer at the bar and will also be distributed across BrewDog’s eight-strong network of bars in London.
- Tower Hill will also be the first BrewDog bar to serve a breakfast and brunch daily in addition to its renowned pizza, burgers and wings menu.
- Tower Hill is the second BrewDog site to open in London this year following BrewDog Seven Dials, near Covent Garden, in March.
- Further openings set for the capital include sites in Angel and Brixton.
- At its seventh AGM last month, BrewDog made a slew of announcements including a move into cider, plans for 17 new bars around the world and increased availability of BrewDog beer in the USA as new state distributors were announced.
- A third brewing site is currently under construction in Brisbane, Australia to add to its brewing facilities in Columbus, Ohio and its HQ in Ellon, Scotland.
- Last year was a banner year for BrewDog, with sales up by 78% and overall revenue up 55% on 2016.
- The brewery’s flagship beer Punk IPA has been the best-selling craft beer in the UK off-trade for the last three years, and currently, five of the top 10 best-selling craft beers in the UK off trade are BrewDog products.
- BrewDog’s remarkable growth has been powered by its record-breaking Equity for Punks crowdfunding initiative, which has seen the brewery raise over £55million since 2009.
- Last October, the brewery launched its fifth round of Equity for Punks, looking to raise a target £10million to further its global expansion.
- After reaching the initial target in under 90 days, the brewer announced in January that Equity for Punks V would remain open until 15th October 2018, or until the maximum potential raise of £50million is reached.
- As of today, this latest round of Equity for Punks has raised over £15 million from more than 33,000 investors.
BrewDog’s cofounder James Watt said:
“This iconic area of London needed a suitable statement of a BrewDog bar to match. The brewpub will not only serve the freshest BrewDog beer in London, but will allow our brewers to get creative and experimental with small batch beers. This is the first of many BrewDog brewpubs and a vote of confidence for London’s position as one of the craft beer capitals of the world.”